My Photo
Name:
Location: Aileu, Timor-Leste

I'm an aid worker, trying to do my little bit to leave the world a better place than I found it. This blog sporadically tracks my adventures in various countries, as I try to play my part is the massive venture to Make Poverty History.

Tuesday 2 August 2005

Tuesday 2 August, 2005 - Home Sweet Home

Okay - really want to get home as it is 7.15p.m. but haven't posted for a few days.
And yes - I finally have a home. Three and a half months after arriving, I have moved into what will, I hope, be my permanent abode for the rest of my time here...
Debs left for Singapore yesterday (*sad face*) so I took over her room (and her flatmate Ange!) and moved my stuff into my fourth home in five weeks (and my seventh or eighth since April!) I am still unpacking as I left a whole lot of stuff there during my wanderings and haven't even gotten to it yet. Sigh
It doesn't really feel like home yet. For a start, it still feels like Debs' place and also there is nothing personal up yet, except a photo of the family and my Victoria calendar, suitably turned to a snowy mountain scene for August (*more sad face, although I don't think the snow is that good right now*)
It is a bit sad without Debs - have gotten to know her better over the past month in particular, and just seem to have a few farewells lately (Anita going back to Oz last week, Debs leaving, one of the guys from my team, Archie, who I get on with really well, is finishing this week). So lots of goodbyes (and lots of cake!)
On the weather front, I decided today that the whole 'monsoon where the weather cools down' is actually a myth dreamed up to lure foreigners here, who would not otherwise come if they realised that the heat is unrelenting. It is so blinking hot - you should have seen me when I arrived at my desk this morning - I was stared at so much (again!) Actually - on Monday I was coming back from buying lunch and this guy took a photo of me with his camera phone from inside his car! I couldn't believe it! And nobody at the office thought it out of place (although they got a good laugh) - apparently it will happen a lot and I just happened to notice it this time. I sometimes get very sick of being the constant center of attention, and the subject of constant cat calls and shout outs, just because of the colour of my skin.
Okay - I do have a lot of other news but am trying to honour the calls for shorter posts so will try to get back here with more in another post later.
Toodlepip
Kate

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

look! i found it again!!!

Thu Aug 04, 03:51:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home