My Photo
Name:
Location: Aileu, Timor-Leste

I'm an aid worker, trying to do my little bit to leave the world a better place than I found it. This blog sporadically tracks my adventures in various countries, as I try to play my part is the massive venture to Make Poverty History.

Thursday 26 January 2006

Happy Australia Day to Me!

Well – it’s Australia Day here in Manila, which doesn’t mean a whole lot to most of the people here. Today I am just a number amongst the homesick Aussies around the globe who are missing the beach, their barbies, (that’s a Barbeque, not a doll!) and their bathers this Australia Day. I have created my own little celebration here though – I did an Australia Day merienda (that’s a Filipino snack) complete with a whole lot of stuff I brought back from Australia (Tim Tams, Mint Slices, Caramello Koalas, Cherry Ripes, Freckles, Caramel Crowns etc) and I some food I made - pikelets and vegemite soldiers. And I have Triple J’s Hottest 100 playing on the radio – trying to guess what the number one song with be. A problem with having been away for a year – I am a little out of touch (although am pretty stoked to see that many of the songs I have voted for have turned up thus far in the countdown, and we are up to number 16). And they are broadcasting live from the Sydney Big Day Out…*cry*


Hmmmm – my picks for number one – I reckon Ben Lee will have a shot, or maybe Sarah Blasko, Wolfmother, or the White Stripes. I think I am putting my money on Wolfmother (they have already have four in this year). Last year, I guessed either Franz Ferdinand or The Killers, and was right (Franz Ferdinand’s Take Me Out was number one) – I guess this year I am in for a surprise…


Tonight there is a party at the residence of the Australian Ambassador. My friend Rainier has sung at it before (apparently they had all these Filipinos singing songs like “Waltzing Matilda” and “I Still Call Australia Home”, which I think would have really cracked me up!) and said it is huge – the world and its wife comes to this event. So it should be fun. Embassy things crack me up – the invitations come complete with finishing times for the parties, and you really should be out by then. We have learned our lesson from the last party, when all the Youth Ambassadors were left like stray waifs sitting on the curb outside the residence after everyone else left with their drivers. We have organised transport this time around!!!


Hope, wherever you are, you are having a ripper Australia Day…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home