My Photo
Name:
Location: Aileu, Timor-Leste

I'm an aid worker, trying to do my little bit to leave the world a better place than I found it. This blog sporadically tracks my adventures in various countries, as I try to play my part is the massive venture to Make Poverty History.

Monday 6 February 2006

Day of tears...

A fairly awful thing happened here in Manila on Saturday morning- actually, less than a kilometre from my home. During the morning, I heard sirens etc., but that is a pretty common occurence here in Manila and I didn't really think anything of it. But then, on my way back from the Salcedo market (where we buy fruit and vegetables) the taxi driver asked me if I had heard the news that morning? I said no, thinking that the coup that has been rumoured since we arrived has finally happened. Turns out though that GMA is still safe, for the minute.

Instead, at the Ultra Sports Stadium, very close to our condo block, a popular game show, Wowowee, were filming their one-year anniversary show. This show normally screens weekly, but were having a midday screening with double their normal prize money available (from one million to two million pesos - about AUD$25,000 or US$20,000). Of course, for many Filipinos, living in constant and abject poverty (40% of the country live on less than US$2 per day), this was a chance of a lifetime to lift themselves out of poverty and make a new start. So instead of the 19,000 maximum number for the stadium, 30,000 people arrived to try to get in - some had been queuing since Wednesday morning.

There was a mad rush for tickets and in an attempt to control the chaos, the organisers closed the gates. There are also rumours that someone shouted that there was a bomb in the crowd, but this has not been confirmed. Anyway - there was a mass stampede and 74 people died, with hundreds injured. Apparently the injured were still at Ultra last night (Monday), but they have all gone today (Tuesday morning).

This has led to a lot of commentary here - the principal element that has been highlighted is how desperate people are - how they would come to something like this and although they obviously didn't realise it at the time, risk their lives, just to win some cash. For many foreigners here, this smacks of many of the things we identify as needing improving in the Philippines - a lack of organisation and control of authorities, no concept of queueing or waiting your turn for something (Filipinos are the worst pushers-in we have ever encountered!), triumph of a pursuit of material goods (either characterised as greed, or a struggle for survival - depending upon who you ask!) at the risk of decorum, civility and sometimes, humanity. There has been quite a bit of condemnation of the TV station (I think they are emerging as the bad guys, for their lack of organisation), but also of people who would go to such extremes to try to get money. While I can agree with this (and can also easily imagine many impoverished Filipinos pushing at the back of this crowd), I think it is telling that I have yet to hear condemnation from a person who has had to struggle to feed their family (possibly because nobody ever bothers to ask such people their opinions?!) It is easy for a room full of rich Filipinos with their drivers, household help, nannies and overstuffed pantries to sit in judgement of poorer Filipinos.

I don't want you to get the wrong impression - there has been tremendous grief and pain at this situation, from all Filipinos. I have just noticed a tendency on the part of well-to-do locals to say "it is so awful, but..."

Currently things are a bit of a mess. A lot of people came in from the provinces to attend the show and now their are children without parents (the majority of casualties were older people, especially women, and children), husbands without wives etc., and with no local support structures.

It has been really devastating - watching it on the television, with people who feel like my compatriots now, I have been really upset and my heart breaks for these poor families who have come for a fun day, and had it turn to tragedy.

There is a short BBC article about it here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home