My Photo
Name:
Location: Aileu, Timor-Leste

I'm an aid worker, trying to do my little bit to leave the world a better place than I found it. This blog sporadically tracks my adventures in various countries, as I try to play my part is the massive venture to Make Poverty History.

Friday 5 October 2007

In the Cold Light of Morning

So – I’m taking five minutes out of my day to attend to this sadly, sadly neglected little blog. I know it has been a ridiculous amount of time since I was here – my excuses include extended periods of time in the field, no internet access for weeks at a time, malaria, annual leave, travel to Nairobi and now…floods in Eastern Uganda!!

I am currently out in Soroti (you could get an atlas?) in Eastern Uganda, responding to the floods that you may or may not have seen on the news (if you live in America, I think we were bumped for OJ Simpson, if you live in Australia, apparently we were bumped for Shane Warne’s latest debacle, if you live in Germany, I think it was extensively covered, given the number of interviews my German colleague gave!!!) Anyway – point is – there are floods across the East (and a bit the north) of the country and we are doing an emergency response, which I am coordinating from the field.

It’s pretty full-on out here – I am really tired and looking forward so much to this weekend (my boss ordered me to return to Kampala and rest for the weekend, bless his cotton socks!) Plus – Thurza is coming from Australia with a care package from me, including a disc with the first three episodes of Season three of Prison Break (cue happy dance). Now that makes me happy…

I will probably be out for the flood response for a few more weeks – we are trying to bring in some staff on secondment, but until they arrive, I will still be residing in Soroti. There is a pretty massive NGO/UN presence out here now – the main hotel in town must think it’s Christmas (hasn’t made them speed up the restaurant service though – if you get your food in one hour, you are celebrating the amazing velocity of that performance – one and a half to two hours is the general wait for lunch/dinner!!) Most evenings, there is a pretty large contingent in the bar eating and drinking, so that’s pretty fun – they are good bunch (although an incredible number of both Italians and Germans – one Italian guy came with his espresso machine, which he just needs to get working, and he will become my new best friend!)

And amidst all of this, my heart has been broken by the news that Steve Hewitt, the Placebo drummer, has left the band *cry,wail,stamp foot* Steve, fyi, is the chap on the right in the picture below of the leaping lads (yes – those leaping lads are Placebo). The thought that they won’t make any more albums together, and I won’t see them together ever again is devastating. Plus – he’s a kick-ass drummer and…well…I really can’t think of words except that it sucks. And I have listening to Placebo on loop since Monday (when it was announced) L

So – a reasonably incoherent post (gives you a pretty good picture of my headspace right now – just sooo tired!) but will try to return soon with a little more info and a little less rambling…

In the meantime – stay dry…

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger 'Brush and Bel said...

Ooh - you got malaria too. It seems like every-one going out is getting it at the moment. I didn't hear of it happening for ages, and it seems like everyoen I know who has goen to Africa in the last 2 years has gotten it.
One of the girls we are friends with here left today for a year in teh Zimbabew office/relief team. sad :(
She got back not long ago from 6 months with the regional releif team (during which time she had malaria)
Have a good rest and good luck with the response
oh - u are right, it was covered here
my comment is not so coherant - i have been doign too much writting lately and I htink i may have injured that part of my brain)
B

Sun Oct 21, 02:48:00 am  
Blogger Kate said...

Hey - who went to the relief team in Zim - you know Tim R is there?

Sadly, malaria is a part of life here - just keeps on coming, especially when you spend as much time in the field as I do (and the areas I go to - the other PO mostly goes to bigger towns and has never had it) :(

Are you going home for Christmas - I am - woo double hoo!!

Tue Oct 30, 02:50:00 am  
Blogger 'Brush and Bel said...

mum, dad and my sister are comign her for christmas, but because they are affraid of the cold they will be here for 2 weeks, then we will all go to Viet Nam for 2 weeks. They will then go back to aus, and we come back here. A week later Br and I will fly to Vail for a week for his 30th WAHOOO (hopefully there is snow this year)

I did know Tim was there, we have passed a few messages backwards and forwards through the trainee that was there from our office a while ago

am off to PHL in a week again - only 2 weeks this time

Fri Nov 02, 07:18:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home