My Photo
Name:
Location: Aileu, Timor-Leste

I'm an aid worker, trying to do my little bit to leave the world a better place than I found it. This blog sporadically tracks my adventures in various countries, as I try to play my part is the massive venture to Make Poverty History.

Wednesday 5 October 2005

Fancy Pants Party

Well – I’m a fancy pants expat now. I went to a gathering at the official residence of the Australian Ambassador last night! Of the Australian Community here. I tell you what – if the entire Australian community were there last night, we are a severely under-represented presence here in Manila – there just aint that many of us (maybe 50 people there!) I don’t think that was all of us though.

A couple of weeks ago we went to two different places to watch the Australian Rules Football Grand Final. Like last night, it was a bit of a head spin to be surrounded by all those Australian accents. We watched the second half at Sid’s Sports Bar which was filled with Aussie blokes – such a great combination; the Australian male, add beer, a little footy and stir… We were reflecting upon how little, at times, we miss the men at home! They were somewhat obnoxious, especially when the captain of the winning team (no idea who it was – someone help me here…Sydney Captain?) thanked ‘the girls’ of the club…..

Anyway – last night was a lot of fun. We were dressed up a little bit and met some really interesting people. The residence is, naturally, enormous and fancy, with some really interesting art (Dad – you would be in heaven). I don’t think everyone there quite got the concept of Youth Ambassadors though – I think they thought we were junior members of the diplomatic corps! I was asked what my portfolio was (Em suggested I should have replied that my portfolio was Emergency Relief through the Asia Pacific Region. Mairin said I should have replied that my portfolio was shoes in the Metro Manila area!!!) Sadly I am boring and just explained what a Youth Ambassador was – oh well…

Anyway – gotta run. Bible study tonight
Hope you are all great
Toodleepip
Kate
P.S. got my first ever professional manicure on the weekend as well - French polish. It is a little wobbly and already starting to chip (Wednesday night!) but what can you expect for a couple of dollars!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home