My Photo
Name:
Location: Aileu, Timor-Leste

I'm an aid worker, trying to do my little bit to leave the world a better place than I found it. This blog sporadically tracks my adventures in various countries, as I try to play my part is the massive venture to Make Poverty History.

Friday 7 October 2005

Supersonic traffic speed...

I was thinking last night in the taxi on the way home how living in Manila has affected my idea of speed. Because traffic moves so incredibly slowly here (it is depressing to realise that the place that takes you three hours to get to...ON THE FREEWAY...is 60km away ) I feel like we are going super fast if we get up to 60 km/h now. And any faster, I feel like we are totally out of control...Will spin me out when I go home at Christmas - I may be a tad dangerous when I hit the roads the first day or two (anyone volunteering to sit in the passenger seat!!)

Went to the opening of the Australian film festival last night (with the Ambassador and some other big wigs). We watched Swimming Upstream - with Geoffrey Rush, Judi Davis and Jesse Spencer (some kid I have never seen before, but I thought he was a great actor). I loved it - thought it was excellent. Mum and Dad - I think you would really like this movie. You should rent it.

The film festival lasts a week and has some good movies in it - Thunderstruck, The Sum of Us and My Mother Frank. It also has Ned Kelly!! Oh well - you can't win them all (maybe I should go see that, but it got such dismal reviews...) There are a few others including one I have never heard of - Siam Sunset. It runs for a week. So looking forward to a few free Aussie movies (you should have heard us squealing at the Aussie accents emerging from the screen last night - very bizarre).

Ange has gone home for two weeks to be a bridesmaid at her brother's wedding. I am a little jealous - was wondering what I would do first if it were me (take a deep breath of clean air would be top of the list, then enjoy doing 100k/h on the freeway, have a cappucino from the High Street Cafe, go for a run outside on the grass, have a cheesymite scroll, breathe some more clean air, just because I can!!) And Sally has asked to be a model!!! She is going to be modelling in the ad campaign for Bench, which is a clothing company here in the vein of Gap or Esprit. We hope she gets to keep the clothes! Mairin and Lyndon have gone to Hong Kong for the weekend, Nat is in Malaysia with her boyfriend, getting her diving license. And I am here!!! Oh well - there is a flag day thing at church on Sunday and I am carrying the Australian flag - we have had a rehearsal and everything. I have to do it at both services...

And Coldplay are coming to Oz in July!! Yipeeeee. I have not been able to get tickets each other time they come, but will be online to ticketek first thing Monday morning to make sure I don't miss out this time... Cannot wait (have been inspired by all your pics and debriefs from the Chicago concert MR people!!)

Have a great weekend all...
Toodlepip

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home