My Photo
Name:
Location: Aileu, Timor-Leste

I'm an aid worker, trying to do my little bit to leave the world a better place than I found it. This blog sporadically tracks my adventures in various countries, as I try to play my part is the massive venture to Make Poverty History.

Thursday 27 October 2005

Gourmet - Philippines style

Well - we can add this as number twenty-seven on the list of Philippino (now - I am not sure in this case whether it should be Philippino or Filipino or something else entirely - I will research further and get back to you - or probably not!) delicacies that I intend never to try. I do not care if I am thought incredibly unadventurous. It turns out that a delicacy in Palawan is something called alternatively Bird's Nest Soup or Nido Soup - and it is made from bird vomit.
No - I am not kidding you.
Apparently people climb miles up into mountains and then up to birds' nests to retrieve the product of bird regurgitation and then bring it down. And turn it into soup. It is (as a result of the effort required to obtain the key ingredient) incredibly expensive. And - I am informed, delicious . I don't care - I am still not trying it. The thought alone is enough to put me off my food.
One of the most popular and famous specialties of the Philippines is something called balut. This is a partially formed duck egg - with the foetus clearly definable within - you can make out all of the poor little thing. It is hardboiled (I think?) and then eaten. Seriously - I am feeling a little ill as I type. I could put links to pictures but I really don't want to do that to you (or myself). If you are into the big gross-out, you can go and google balut - I am sure it will come up in all of its graphic glory.
Just reaffirms for me why I have always been vegetarian....

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

..hi there,
..im a filipino living in the beautiful country of philippines :) lol
..im researching for a gourmet and as i go along,
..i reached this page :)
..hmmm,
..i do eat balut,
..and i can say that all part of it is delicious except for the "fetus" as you have said because i havn't tried eating it,
..it's exotic!!
..hehe,
..maybe one of these days i'll try..:)

Fri Jan 11, 10:37:00 pm  
Blogger Lisa said...

Tried Nido soup last year from like www.geocities.jp/hongkong_bird_nest/index_e.htm . Tastes really good... yeah, I thought it was gross at first, but wow, you won't regret it.

Sun Sept 12, 11:38:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home