My Photo
Name:
Location: Aileu, Timor-Leste

I'm an aid worker, trying to do my little bit to leave the world a better place than I found it. This blog sporadically tracks my adventures in various countries, as I try to play my part is the massive venture to Make Poverty History.

Monday 5 March 2007

1000 Miles Away

I’m thinking of trying this new thing whereby I label all of my posts with the title of a song. Not for any profound reason – mostly for my own amusement. So for this one – I offer you the Hoodoo Gurus…


Although actually, as I landed at Entebbe Airport on Thursday, INXS’ ‘Never Tear Us Apart’ was playing on my ipod which may be slightly true as well. Arriving here is an indication to me that dreams really do come true, sometimes.


As some of you know, since visiting Uganda in 2002, I have wanted to come back and work here. Specifically in the north, where a pretty savage rebel group called the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) has waged war against the government for 20 years. Their MO is to kidnap children as soldiers, labourers and sex slaves, to kill indiscriminately and often to cut off tongues, ears and even limbs as they terrorise the north of the country. We spent most of our visit in 2002 up in the north, in Kitgum and Gulu, looking at the work we were doing there, and I was moved and motivated by the people, the staff and the tiny rays of hope that we were imparting through the small good acts we were able to achieve amidst such hopelessness. Since that time, I have wanted to work in northern Uganda and I now have my chance – I have started as a Program Officer in the Emergency Relief team here, working entirely in the north of Uganda.


Since returning, I have rediscovered the love I developed for the country four and a half years ago. Ugandans are warm and friendly, full of optimism and joy. I am based in Kampala and am currently learning my way around and trying to settle in (hampered significantly by lingering jetlag – although I was proud to survive until after midnight last night, as I was invited out to dinner – that beats my previous record by four hours!!) I have yet to meet anyone from my last trip – I suspect I will when I arrive up north (hopefully soon). However, I was taken around the office in Kampala and introduced to about 100 people – I think I can remember the names of maybe three! (although with the blokes, I suspect the strategy might be, ‘if in doubt, try Sam’ – there are so many Sams!!)


After the disappointment of leaving Afghanistan so abruptly, and the continuing heartbreak of watching a country I have come to care for so deeply spiral down into a mire of violence, fear and hopelessness, it is wonderful to be given a chance to come here and hopefully achieve some real change – a shaky peace process is holding in the north and people are cautiously optimistic, if justifiably wary. I am looking forward to getting to work up there and to sharing my stories along the way.


Our dear friend, and virtual surrogate family member Su, wrote to me a couple of days before I came here. As a South African she understood very well the ties that Africa bind you with. I hope she won’t mind me quoting her here as a thought to finish with:

“I am sure part of this is bias but since I have heard it from non-Africans too - once you've lived in Africa a part of you always hankers to go back - and when you've done 'good work' in Africa (for want of a better expression this early in the morning) NOWHERE else is quite as satisfying.”

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger 'Brush and Bel said...

glad u are there safe and sound!!! I

good to see as well that u have updated ur profile with you're correct location, but I thnk you're weather pixie may be inappropriately dressed, or CFMs and midrift OK in Uganda? :-)

B

Tue Mar 06, 12:04:00 am  
Blogger Kate said...

Hey - I'm just trying to set a new fashion standard here - think I will start a trend? (leather in the African heat!!!)

Gotta have a little fun here and there...

Thu Mar 08, 12:39:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home