My Photo
Name:
Location: Aileu, Timor-Leste

I'm an aid worker, trying to do my little bit to leave the world a better place than I found it. This blog sporadically tracks my adventures in various countries, as I try to play my part is the massive venture to Make Poverty History.

Tuesday 14 November 2006

Thank you for the music

I sat down to watch The OC last week as I had my dinner. I didn’t really have any idea what was going on as I haven’t seen it for years (and I am sure it used to be funnier?), except for the fact that Marissa appears to have died, which made me exceedingly happy. But I was absolutely thrilled to hear (even before the picture came up on the screen), Placebo’s brilliant cover of the Kate Bush song, ‘Running Up That Hill. Such a brilliant song and played, almost in its entirety, twice during the episode. They played this song when I saw them a couple of months ago and it is haunting live (first time I have heard them perform it). Made me realise again how much I love their music, and just how much I love music in general. I do feel so fortunate to have music in my life (to quote ABBA: “without a dance, or a song, what are we? So I say Thank you for the Music, for giving it to me”!)


Speaking of things musical, I had a major triumph this week. I have been quite desperate to attend the Make Poverty History concert this Friday – a musical gathering, in the vein of the Live 8 concerts last year, to coincide with the G-20 conference in Melbourne next week. Tickets are free, but as hard to come by as tickets to U2 this weekend. I was lamenting this fact to two friends at breakfast (shout out to Clare and Tristan!) and when eight tickets were made available through work this week, they both scrambled to get me one – gorgeous friends! So I am off to see Sarah Blasko, Jet, Eskimo Joe, Evermore, the Hilltop Hoods, Paul Kelly and John Butler Trio on Friday night, and cannot wait. There will also be some excellent speakers and I truly hope that this continues the wave of grassroots efforts around the world to end poverty.

If nothing else – should be a ripper night.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

would it be rude of me to call u a Biatch for getting to go to that concert? I would love to go...

I haven't seen the OC much lately either except occassionally dubbed in German and way behind bc the dubbing takes so long - Marrisa died - how do u do a sarcastic sad face with immoticons?

If it weren't for our ipods we would have gone crazy here - there is no way to hear good music here on radio - so we are missing regularly hearing good music...

B (can't remember my blogger password)

Thu Nov 16, 10:40:00 pm  
Blogger 'Brush and Bel said...

Sounds like a kick-arse gig. Make sure you get your dance on for JBT and Eskimo Joe for me!

Brett.

Thu Nov 16, 10:59:00 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

You guys are gunna DIE when I tell you about the concert. Will write a post!

When are you home?

Wed Nov 22, 01:00:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home